In 2005, my resolution was to dance every day and honestly it was the first year I kept a resolution! Simple, but vibrant and healthy! In 2009, I believe I will accomplish #6 — make three people smile every day — easy because I work with the public, challenging because I have days off when all I want to do is hide and recharge!
For the last couple of years, I have been working on #7 — investing in positive energy — this has meant shedding toxic people (I love the phrase energy vampires), not saying yes when I mean no and not worrying what others think of me (I can’t be everybody’s buddy).
I heard this list on Bob & Sheri and think it was probably an email that circulated, but it is great inspiration for New Year’s resolutions and a recipe for good living!
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Talk to God about what is going on in your life. Buy a lock if needed.
3. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, ‘My purpose is to ____ today. I am thankful for____’
4. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is manufactured in plants.
5. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
6. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
7. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.
8. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out charge card.
9. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
10. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
11. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
12. You are not so important that you have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
13. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
14. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
15. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
16. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: ‘In five years, will this matter?’
17. Forgive everyone for everything.
18. What other people think of you is none of your business.
19. GOD heals everything – but you have to ask Him.
20. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
21. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch!
22. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
23. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am thankful for ____. Today I accomplished ____.
24. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
25. When you are feeling down, start listing your many blessings. You’ll be smiling before you know it.